Thursday 25 September 2014

Original Edinburgh Cheesecake Company Review


First I have to say that I come here more than my waistband is happy with. Secondly - it's worth it!

On the corner of a row of shops (including some charity shops - yay!) in the Corstorphine area of Edinburgh, Scotland is the pink and glorious Original Edinburgh Cheesecake Company.
You can't miss it - it is a beacon of pink prettiness - windows hung with bunting and bows displaying all manner of cake-related kitchness (candles set in tea cups, cute little milk jugs, floral Scottie dogs...)

I was smitten before I'd even entered the place!

Set out tea-room style with floral table-cloths, the whole cafe is swathed in pink fabrics, cushions scattered and comfy chairs inviting you to sit and relax as you take in the vintage cabinets with their variety of china teacups and saucers.  You cannot fail to feel warm and cosy when you enter.


Gimme!!!! Parma Violet cheesecake & Luxury hot chocolate

Only once have I had to wait for a table (at the weekend) and this is no hardship as you can browse the knick-knacks on sale while you wait (hand-knitted baby items, cake-making bits, vintage inspired cake stands and a lot more). 

As for the cheesecakes. Wow. Just.....wow. It's no surprise that the Original Edinburgh Cheesecake Company have won awards for their cheesecakes. They are by far the best I have ever tasted.

There is a scrummy selection named after areas of Edinburgh, including 'The Royal Mile' (raspberries and white chocolate), 'Scott's Monument' (Seven types of chocolate. Yes - SEVEN!) and 'The George Street' (Bailey's and Amaretto).

Lattes and cheesecakes - Raspberry & White Chocolate and Turkish Delight

The displays are also filled with an ever-changing assortment of other fantastic flavours - each time I've visited (and I've been many, many times) I have tried something new.

Some of my favourite flavours so far have been: Orange Matchmaker, Turkish Delight, Pecan, Mint Matchmaker, Chocolate Buttons, Rocky Road and the one I tried most recently - Death by Chocolate.

My absolute favourite is Parma Violet, the scent and flavour of the little lilac sweeties takes me straight back to my childhood and in a cheesecake, it is out of this world.
Orange Matchmakers & Rocky Road

The slices are VERY generous and the cheesecake is light and fluffy (meaning that I can often manage two slices in one sitting - oops!) The cheescakes are served on an array of china plates, beautifully elegant.

With my slice (or two) I'll either have a latte or a luxury hot chocolate which is served with cream and marshmallows and always in beautiful floral mugs.

A slice costs only £2.50 and you can also buy a whole mini cheesecake (3 inches) for £3.95 or even a large (10 inches) which is 12 portions (prices vary). 

The Original Edinburgh Cheesecake Company also offers lunches such as toasted sandwiches and paninis plus a take-away option (I have been known to take a slice or two home with me...)

I would recommend that everyone give this place a visit, whether you are local to Edinburgh or on holiday (they are changing locations in the near future, so check their website for details of the new premises).

Maybe I'll see you in there - I'll be the one with the slice of Parma Violet, deliberating over which flavour to try next....

http://www.theoriginaledinburghcheesecakecompany.co.uk/



Laura Dolly Cupcake xxx

UPDATE!!! - The Original Edinburgh Cheesecake Company has sadly closed down. It is so missed :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment