Sunday 28 September 2014

The Edinburgh Flea Market

A perfect start to the weekend!


On the last Saturday of every month, Out of the Blue Drill Hall (a B-listed building due to its architectural heritage, built in 1901) in Dalmeny Street, Leith hosts the Edinburgh Flea Market.

Entry is free, there is a cafe serving cakes, sandwiches, coffee, tea etc and music plays as people browse, buy and chill out on the big red sofas excitedly pouring over their purchases while sipping a cuppa.


This is a perfect Flea Market - a huge variety of items on sale, from clothes, jewellery, homeware and children's toys to paper dolls and scraps, coins, stamps and sewing machines. It really is a treasure trove and I couldn't wait to dig in and hunt for treasure!
The stall holders that I spoke to were lovely and friendly. One lady took a look at me and reached for some 1950's items to show me! Another called me '1940's Lady' and showed me her saucy vintage underwear (on her stall - not her body!) A lovely lady selling vintage scraps and paper dolls showed me her beautiful collection including a Judy Garland paper doll and I ended up taking a few dolls home with me. Everyone was happy to let me photograph their stalls. The atmosphere was very friendly and welcoming.
The prices were fantastically cheap - many items for 50p and £1.00 - I even got a faux pearl bracelet for 10p!!!
I spent £10.10 and I left with a bag full of goodies. I got:

A gorgeous striped dress - £3.00 (it needs a bit of work doing to it but what a bargain!)

Faux pearl necklace - £1.00
Lilac faux pearl bracelet - 10p (10p!!!)
A beautiful china tea cup with 'Mother' written on it - £1.00
A wooden hammer and peg toy for my little boy - £1.00
A selection of paper dolls - £4.00

What a wonderful way to start the weekend. 

I'm off to look at my bargains again!

**Note - The next Flea Market is on Saturday 1st November**
http://edinburghfleamarket.blogspot.co.uk/



Laura Dolly Cupcake xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment